Thorp, set on the western bank of the Yakima River nine miles northwest of Ellensburg, is an unincorporated farming town. It was one of the first areas settled in the Kittitas Valley. In 1886 the community became part of the Northern Pacific Railway when the company built a line about a mile from town. Eventually the town grew around the railroad depot. It is home of the Thorp Grist Mill, which at one time made flour and feed for people and livestock. The mill closed in the late 1940’s and has since been restored. The mill is open for tours during the summer. Today Thorp is a quiet farming community whose focal points are farming and the Thorp School.